News from Pastor Rick Carter
- Christmas Choir begins on August 24! That Sunday, at both services, the choir will lead with Christmas songs and anthems. Then at 5:00, all Christmas choir participants and their families are invited to a Christmas Party and Music Review at the home of Edie Holleman. We will begin with a cookout and a time of fellowship…then the choir will preview their musical for December. If you have sung in this seasonal choir, please come and join us again. If you have never been a part of Christmas Choir, please consider joining us on Sunday evening, August 24 for the Christmas Preview. Contact Rick if you have questions.
- The Tuesday Morning Bible Study will resume on September 9 and will conclude its study on October 14. The group meets at 10:00 in the Fellowship Hall and enjoys a time of discussion and dialogue as well as a time of food and conversation. Come join us in September as we begin our study of the book of Colossians.
- A Bryson City Trip to The Fryemont Inn is scheduled for October 20-22. This event will conclude our fall Tuesday Morning Bible Study. The trip is open to the Tuesday group as well as other adults/families of our congregation. See Rick today for the information sheet and reservation requirements. Space is limited, so take care of this today! Call or email (email@example.com) to get more information.
- The Sanctuary Choir will rehearse on Wednesday evenings from 6:30-7:30 during the summer months. Please join us for this “seasonal choir” for the next several weeks if this earlier time works. Call Rick if you have any questions.
- Driven, a southern gospel quartet from NC, will again join us this year for a program of music and worship. This exciting group will lead us on Sunday morning, September 21 at our 10:45 worship service. A love offering will be received for their ministry. Make special plans to be in attendance as Driven leads us in musical worship.
- Homecoming is scheduled for October 5. All worship events will be planned for the 10:45 service, immediately at the conclusion of Sunday School. We will not have an 8:30 service that day. Leonard Harris, a former Minister of Music will be our guest worship leader. Special music events are planned for this service in addition to enjoying our guest speaker. Make plans to be present for a great day of worship, a day of renewing old friendships, an enjoyable meal, and a time of spiritual renewal.
- Thank you for your contributions and your continued giving toward the repairs needed for our organ.Thank you for your contributions to the Organ Repair Fund. The main work of repairing and restoring the organ have been completed. There may still be some follow-up work to be done concerning the speakers. Your contributions have and will cover the expenses for this project. Thank you again!
- A special thanks to Dana Sizemore, Paige Black, J.P. Savage, and Ricky & Wanda Lamm for leading in the preparation and provision of our “refreshment time” each Sunday morning after the 8:30 service.
Solomon’s Porch our contemporary music ensemble is open to adding a soprano and an alto. If you enjoy this style of music and are available for rehearsals, please contact Rick at the church 919-552-4634 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
A special thanks to all of our Mission Teams who worked so diligently this summer to show Christ in different parts of our country and around the world. Thanks also for sharing with us on past Sundays and today of your mission work. Begin now prayerfully becoming involved in a mission team for 2014.
Summer Music Schedule
- 6:00-6:30 Solomon’s Porch Rehearsal
- 6:50-7:20 Corinthian Gate Rehearsal
- 7:30-8:30 Sanctuary Choir Rehearsal
Upcoming Sanctuary Choir Anthems
- August 24 – Rising by the Power of His Name
- August 31 – Sinner Saved by Grace and Give Me Jesus
- September 7– O The Blood
- September 21– Sinner Saved by Grace
- September 28– Farther Along
- August 17---Holy Spirit on Mission
- August 24---God on Mission
- August 31 – Living on Mission
Music Groups at PGBC
There are a variety of music groups here at Pleasant Grove where you have the opportunity to serve Christ through music. Most of these are open to anyone and are available for new members to join as their schedule allows. Here is our normal schedule and information about the different groups:
Monday---6:15-7:00 . . . Pleasant Grove Singers . . . This SATB auditioned ensemble provides special music on a regular basis for our worship times. Their music is primarily a southern gospel sound. They also are available to sing at other churches or community events.
Wednesday---6:00-6:30 . . . Solomon’s Porch . . . This SATB ensemble provides a selection of contemporary music as well as “updated” hymn tunes and texts. They are also the primary music worship leaders for our 8:30 worship service.
Wednesday---6:15-7:00 . . . Music Time, Music Makers, and Young Musicians . . . these are the three choirs for children that make up our graded choir program. They sing for us occasionally for worship and will always provide us with seasonal music as well as musical selections at the end of their choir year. These choirs meet from August through May.
Wednesday---7:05-7:40 . . . Corinthian Gate . . . This is our instrumental group that provides most of the music for all of our worship services. The group is open to anyone who plays an instrument and desires to share their talent in the church.
Wednesday---7:45-8:45 . . . Sanctuary Choir . . . This group of talented singers serves as our primary musical worship leaders, especially for our 10:45 service of worship each Sunday. They provide traditional familiar anthems as well as new and contemporary literature. Seasonal programs are also planned regularly. The group is open to anyone, high school age through adults.
Ladies Rejoice is a ladies ensemble that sings for services or other special events.
Other groups such as Men’s Choir, Women’s Choir, Senior Adult Choir, Youth, and Handbell Choirs are used on special dates and programs.
Check back for updated news as it comes in . . .